I have failed to join the 5AM club
I dozed off after putting my daughter to sleep. I had been careful to set my alarm to go off a few minutes before midnight, just in case I don’t wake up. I had booked a podcast interview with a writer who is in California. The time difference is huge. Soonest the alarm went off, I sneaked out of bed and started prepping for my interview. My plan was simple. Get on the call, do the usual introduction, scene-setting, ice breaking, for 10 min, and get into the questions which will take me an average of 20 min, say bye to each other. It would then take me about 5 min to save the show for editing later. I should be in bed at 12.45 or 12.50 latest.
While waiting for my guest to connect on zoom, I googled, time in PST now, just to check once again, and realized the interview is tomorrow. Not today. I had one job. To google PST time once more before I set up the call. Anyway, that is not the story. What I found interesting in all that is how alive I felt. It was quiet, I had this burst of energy, my mind was at peace and the ideas were flowing with an impeccable sense of clarity. So, I thought I would take this as an opportunity to work instead of going back to bed. It felt great.
I have been trying to fight the idea of working late at night, first because there is too much literature that discourages it. But also, because deep inside, I have always wanted to join the 5AM club. The people who wake up early, go to the gym, read a book, hydrate, and are ready for work at 7 or 8AM! What a wonderful way of living. Must be nice! So, why has my body or my mind refused to adjust? And it is strange, but I don’t even feel bad for failing.
Interestingly, right at the beginning of my career, I was hosting a breakfast show. At 6, right a the top of the hour, the first link was open, in a clear voice, I had to wish a warm welcome to all the listeners. This meant that I was up latest at 4.45AM. I loved my job but never felt the joy of waking up early. While I think and believe that there are very many benefits ( some scientifically proven, apparently) of being part of this exclusive club, I honestly think that we are made differently and should all be able to explore what works best for us without feeling like we are missing out on the best part of life.
So…I have made a new decision. I am going to listen to myself more. My body, mind, and soul (not sure what this is yet). Get to understand what works best for me and try to make it work as much as I can. I am not in total control of my time, but that is my long-term goal. (I also think that the future of work will consider these settings). This of course doesn’t mean that I will be insensitive to other people’s body-mind time zones or cancel important professional Rendez-vous scheduled at 7AM East Africa time, but the idea that I need to wake up at 5 AM to get my life in order is being laid to rest. I would love to tell you more stories, but I really have to go. It is now 01:25 and I have a draft concept note to finish. I will go ahead and get started.
Ginty.

A punctured tyre doesn't have to ruin your plans or leave you waiting for hours. At 24/7 Mobile Tyre Service Melbourne, we bring expert tyre repair services directly to your location, whether you're stuck on the roadside, at your workplace, or in your driveway. Our skilled technicians use professional equipment to assess the damage and provide the most suitable solution, from reliable puncture repairs to tyre replacements when necessary. With our 24/7 emergency mobile service, Melbourne motorists can count on prompt response times, quality workmanship, and dependable assistance to get safely back on the road as quickly as possible.
ReplyDeleteMaintaining a healthy smile starts with choosing the right dental team. At Prodental Clinic, we provide a full range of dental treatments tailored to patients of every age, from preventive check-ups and professional teeth cleaning to cosmetic smile enhancements, dental implants, crowns, and urgent dental care. Our experienced dentists combine modern technology with personalised treatment plans to ensure every visit is comfortable, effective, and focused on your long-term oral health. Whether you need routine maintenance or advanced dental treatment, we're dedicated to helping you enjoy a healthy, confident smile for years to come.
ReplyDeleteRegular skin examinations play a vital role in identifying skin cancer before it becomes more serious. At Balgowlah Village Medical Practice, we offer thorough skin cancer assessments designed to detect unusual moles, sun damage, and other concerning skin changes at an early stage. Our experienced medical professionals provide careful evaluations, clear guidance, and personalised treatment recommendations based on your individual needs. Whether you're attending a routine skin check or seeking advice about a specific spot, our Balgowlah skin cancer clinic is committed to delivering high-quality preventive care that supports your long-term health and confidence.
ReplyDeleteTurn your wedding day into an unforgettable experience with beautifully styled bridal room décor from Boujee By Ashtons. Our creative team designs romantic spaces that reflect your unique style, using premium floral arrangements, elegant balloon décor, soft lighting, candles, personalised touches, and luxurious decorative elements. Whether you're preparing a surprise for your partner or decorating a honeymoon suite, we customise every detail to create a warm, intimate, and picture-perfect setting. If you're searching for bridal room decoration near me, Boujee By Ashtons delivers stunning designs that add the perfect finishing touch to your special celebration.
ReplyDeleteUnexplained water loss could be a sign of a hidden pool leak that requires immediate attention. At Adelaide Aqua Boys, we specialise in accurate pool leak detection to help homeowners identify the source of the problem before it leads to costly structural damage or excessive water bills. Our experienced technicians carefully inspect your pool's shell, plumbing system, and equipment using reliable detection methods to pinpoint leaks with precision. Whether your pool is losing water faster than normal or you're concerned about possible damage, we deliver prompt, professional solutions to restore your pool's efficiency and keep it in excellent condition year-round.
ReplyDeleteUpgrade your bathroom with expertly crafted shower screens from Amazing Shower Screens and Wardrobes. We specialise in supplying and installing premium shower screens that combine modern design, durability, and everyday functionality. Whether you're renovating an existing bathroom or completing a new build, our team offers customised frameless, semi-frameless, and fully framed shower screen solutions to suit your style and budget. From accurate on-site measurements to professional installation, we ensure every project is completed with precision and attention to detail. If you're searching for shower screen supply and install Melbourne, trust us to deliver high-quality products and exceptional workmanship that enhances the look and performance of your bathroom.
ReplyDeleteFinding the right home loan is easier with expert guidance from Kandid Loans. As an independent mortgage broker in Sydney, we provide tailored lending solutions based on your financial needs rather than promoting a single lender's products. Our experienced brokers compare loan options from a broad network of trusted lenders to help you secure competitive interest rates and flexible loan features. Whether you're purchasing your first home, refinancing, investing in property, or upgrading to a new home, we offer clear advice and ongoing support throughout the entire loan process, making your path to property ownership simple, stress-free, and well-informed.
ReplyDelete